Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Apocalypse is Nigh

I don't believe I've been ambiguous about this, but let me be explicit. I think it's a joke that someone like Jeffrey Flanagan has a vote for the Baseball Hall of Fame. His baseball knowledge is laughable, at best. I've read more moronic baseball perspectives from him than from any other writer for a major newspaper. And that includes Jason Whitlock, who at least has the good sense not to write about baseball often as an admission of the fact that he knows nothing about it.

Flanagan, on the other hand, seems to think that he actually knows what he's talking about. He's arrogant beyond belief for someone who knows so little. He once offered me a wager by email that the Royals would release Emil Brown during this past off-season and no other team would pick him up as anything other than a fourth outfielder. My reply, word for word, was this:

"A lower-revenue team looking for cheap production will sign him for $1 million or so and stick him in left field every day."

Which, of course, is exactly what happened, with the Royals themselves playing the part of the lower-revenue team. Flanagan was "surprised", but he's the bozo who gets to decide which players should be remembered for eternity in the Hall of Fame. Just another entry in the Life is Unfair file, I suppose.

I mention all of this because I now fear that the end of the world is upon us and I wanted to give you all warning. You see, Flanagan wrote something today about baseball that I actually agree with, and I don't recall that happening before. To me, that's an ominous portent, and I suggest you all begin sandbagging your homes and hoarding food. Our only hope is that he stole those thoughts from my previous posts, which is possible since I published them before him. Or maybe he stole them from some of the other Royals blogs out there. If they were his original ideas, and I suspect they were, we're all in trouble. Make peace with your God.

Other Royals Notes:
  • There have been more indications that Zack Greinke may be on the verge or finding his happy place, which is obviously good news for all concerned. That said, I disagree with the thought of getting him back in Kansas City's rotation quickly. Let him spend a solid two or three months in Omaha, where he can build some confidence and build relationships with guys who will likely be his teammates for a few years.

No comments: